Monday, November 19, 2007

I am thankful for Ghana. What about you?

It’s Monday, I am in a good mood, so I’ll follow this story from the Accra Mail.

Before the NPP came to power, the national budget was never presented in time.

Three years ago, the Minister of Finance announced that the budget would henceforth be ready before the end of year so as to allow time for early debate and approval of appropriations.

It was no nine-day wonder. The Minister has kept faith since then and now budget presentation before end of year has been institutionalized. It is a salutary development and a manifestation of the strides the country has made in attaining certain key efficiencies in governance.

Parliament adjourned yesterday with the announcement that debate on the budget would commence today. We hope the MPs would raise the debate above and beyond parochialism and give the people value for money.

I'd say something snarky about how the Western Press should pay attention to such matters, because perhaps this is why some countries in Africa may be turning the corner. But, like I said, it's Monday: I feel agreeable.

No comments: